Feb 27, 2015

Rules from Radicals

I woke up in the morning
And I felt like eggs
Laid by California chickens
Who can stretch their legs

Eggs sold in California
Now are more expensive
‘Cause chicken regulations here
Are more extensive

And if I want to scramble here or poach or fry here
There’s restrictions on the kind of eggs that I can buy here
 
When I paid the price they wanted
For my egg repast
Covered California called
And told me, “Not so fast!”

Eggs are not the type of protein
That our guideline states
And if you eat that omelet
Then we’ll raise your rates

Well, that kinda’ irritated me
The truth be told
So I called my representative
Got put on hold

Those geniuses in Congress
They could use some scolding
I called him up on Monday
But I’m still here holding
 
That kind of petty tyranny’s a
Downward spiral
So I thought I’d make a video
And take it viral

I knew that on the internet
I’d find some love
But the only sites that loaded
Ended with “dot-gov”

And I learned that every video
Or poem I post
Was subject to approval
By a licensed host

Then I woke up from my nightmare
And was filled with sorrow
For everything I dreamed
Is coming true tomorrow.
 
This final little couplet mirrors my frustration.
The bigger the government, the smaller the nation.

No comments: